Six Flags Over Texas Denied Claims of Negligence in Wrongful-Death Lawsuit
Six Flags Over Texas denied claims of negligence and other misconduct in response to the wrongful-death lawsuit filed after July’s Texas Giant accident, according to the latest court filing.
In response to the lawsuit filed last month, Six Flags’ attorneys wrote that the park didn’t anticipate an accident like the one that killed 52-year-old Rosa Esparza on July 19. The Dallas woman slipped out of her seat and fell 75 feet as the roller coaster made its first rapid descent.
Friday’s court filing said Six Flags officials didn’t believe that any similar accidents had occurred on roller coasters designed by Gerstlauer Amusement Rides of Germany.
The park’s lawyers also noted that about 2.5 million people had ridden the redesigned Texas Giant before Esparza’s fatal fall.
The lawsuit’s response said Six Flags relied on the expertise of the ride’s designers and manufacturers when it opened the new Texas Giant in 2011.